Situated approximately sixty kilometres north of Berlin, this hunting lodge was renovated and rebuilt in honour of his first wife Carin, who died in 1931. This secondary residence rapidly became the destination for numerous artworks stolen by Göring from Occupied Europe. He had begun collecting art towards the end of the First World War. His ambition was to transform Carinhall into a museum bearing his name. Göring planned to inaugurate the museum on 12 January 1953, on the day of his sixtieth birthday.
Towards the end of the war and the downfall of the Nazis, part of Göring’s collection was put in safekeeping in the Altaussee Salt Mines in Austria. In January 1945, Göring had another part of his collection transported to Berchtesgaden, in the South of Germany.
In order to prevent his collection from falling into the hands of the Russians as the Red Army continued to advance, Göring gave the order to have his immense Carinhall residence blown up on 28 April 1945.